Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Euro 2008! The Favourites and the Dark Horses

Well,the Euro fever is at its peak,with just two more nights of league phase games and then we move to the business end of this spectacle,i.e. the knockout phase.Predicting anything in football is always dangerous as you might have to eat up your words later but I would like to stick my neck out here and say what I believe!

Netherlands would be everyone's favourites,given the command they've shown in beating Italy,France and Romania and they've conceded just one goal in the three league games!I've been following football and sports in general for quite a while now and I can say that Netherlands aren't going to win this time.They've started just too well and over the knockout games,you never know,just one bad decision,a penalty or something against you and all your good work can be undone.I would like them to win but then,I'm sorry to say,they won't.

Teams like Italy,Germany and Portugal would be in the fray for the second favourites spot and they've quietly squeezed through to the knockout stage,without getting much attention.Portugal had an opportunity to win all three games but they ended up on the wrong side in their last league game.

My favourites are Spain.I know it's not a wise choice but this time it comes more out of heart than head.Spain have,on numerous occasions,started their camapigns at World cup or Euro with a bang,scoring goals by the dozens but then fizzled out.All this despite having a good enough side.This time I want them to win and they've shown that they're capable of beating the best.

Croatia are the dark horses.They're playing way too freely not to scare any of the top sides.Germany,well, I saw their young side do so well in the previous world cup and was sure that their players would mature into a world beating unit two years later but that freedom is lacking this time from their game.
Best of luck to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment