Friday, November 18, 2011

That Talismanic Jinxer!

It was exactly a week ago that Anubhav, the only friend of my engineering group left here in Hyderabad, responded with the question, "WHAT??? YOU also feel sick?" to my initial statement after returning from office, which was, "I'm feeling a bit weak and feverish".
The fact was that I had resumed office on Monday, 7th Nov, after a rejuvenating 11-day Diwali (and CAT exam) break at home. For a good part of past 4 months I had one injury or the other which prevented me from gymming, playing cricket and tennis, running, etc (pretty much everything physical). On top of that I preferred to save my energy for my supposed CAT preparation session, which was supposed to take place every night (why it never actually happened is a story for another day).
So, the point is, once i returned, I was fully fit, had got CAT out of the way with an average, accuracy-dependent performance and was raring to go. Monday started with a little gymming and running around the cricket ground of office, Tuesday got more intense and on Friday I went full throttle, starting my evening with cricket practice at 5 pm and ending it with Tennis at 8:30, sandwiching running and gym between the two. Add to that riding home in a sweat-drenched sleeveless, with that poetic "wind-blowing-in-my-face expression" and you have all the ingredients for falling sick.
Anubhav has known me since the time we first met in train while going for our Manipal counselling and truth be told, I've probably never fallen sick since that day in May, 2005(TOUCHWOOD). And, given that he has a good memory (He still remembers the release dates of all the movies that released in the year 2000-2001!!!) his question wasn't random. However, one main reason has been the fact that the day I stepped out of home for joining my engineering college 2147 km away, I was conscious of my health and made sure that nothing goes wrong. Being bed-ridden with your family all around you feels bad enough so I didn't want to experience that with no one around. Thankfully, I made friends that would last this lifetime in that journey (which was supposed to take 36 hours but ended up taking 60, thanks to Mumbai floods!) but still, I hope you got my point.
Fast forwarding to that eventful Friday: When my ability to fall sick was doubted, I uttered a few curses, drank a glassful of hot water and retired to bed, hoping I don't wake up with a temperature on the wrong side of 100 Farenheit. I didn't.I thanked The Almighty and started aggressive planning for the 2-day weekend. But probably I had thanked God too early. I noticed a small lump on my left thigh and ignored it, choosing to go out shopping instead. The next day it had taken the shape of an inflammation and its head had changed colours from red to white. Still, it was small enough to force me into bothering. By Sunday evening it had started spreading and I decided to go for my typical "all or nothing" method, in which I turn to my ever so reliable after shave lotion to burn the acne into extinction. Stubborn as it was, it refused to just die down and had grown to challenging proportions by the next (Monday) morning. Since then, I've been on a dose of pain-killers followed by antacids followed by anti biotics.Needless to say, I've not been able to walk without pain this whole week, leave alone sports and gym. Can't put to words how frustrating it is to turn up at the Cricket Ground in office at 5 pm and watch the team practice. Thankfully there has been some improvement in the past 24 hours and as of now, I'm targeting the Sunday 2 pm practice session. Fingers crossed...

1 comment:

  1. Being bed-ridden with your family all around you feels bad enough so I didn't want to experience that with no one around. Thankfully,Treadmills India

    ReplyDelete