Friday, July 18, 2008

Finally decided on the new mobile handset :)

The last 36 hours have been full of adventure for me,with my mind diving in a sea of varied emotions (joy,sympathy,frustration,etc to name a few).Before you decide to navigate away from this page thinking that there was(or still is) something terribly wrong with my head at the time of writing the post(due to the difference in the topic and the first few lines),please read on,I bet I'll connect the two.
The "adventure" refers to the procedure of selecting a new mobile phone and the emotions largely concerned either myself or the phone manufacturers(Its upto you to decide which emotion was for whom :P).The ordeal started around 10th July,at my home in Delhi(I am writing this post a week later,from my hostel room in Manipal!)when dad finally gave me the freedom to raise my budget to five(yes,FIVE!!!) figures(with the restriction of keeping the digit at ten-thousand's place to PRECISELY "1" and the following digit "BETTER NOT EXCEED" "2").Anyways,I was too happy to think over these things so I agreed instantly.

This is the time when real problem started,i.e. deciding upon the set.I've been going through all sorts of user reviews,website reviews and forums that discuss the top brands currently doing the market rounds and what follows is a brief account of the the kind of confusion I've had to live with over the past week.

"When you buy a phone,it SHOULD be Nokia".This seems to be the mantra that dominates the minds of the cellphone using masses in the present century.I was guided by the same and I had almost instantaneously decided to go for Nokia N73/Nokia N73 Music Edition(priced at 13k,something which was "affordable" if I could deliver a few perfectly timed dialogues, studded with proper emotions to mummy).


Then I thought about giving other brands a "fair chance".I browsed through the Samsung phones and was amazed to know that they've successively launched 3 phones over the last year or so and all of them have beaten the previous one to take the honour of being "The World's Slimmest Phone".And trust me,once you see their design,you DO NOT want to miss a chance to get it.However,the complaint was that Samsung isn't exacty renowned for their battery life and taking a slider phone is always a gamble.I was blown away by their BEAT 450 model,which boasts of virtually everything you can ask for(and some things that you wouldn't even imagine) in a basic multimedia mobile.However,the 2MP camera was the downsider,as when you're paying 13k,you deserve better than it.There's no protection for the camera lens either and besides,it's got an annoying feature of having to take out the speaker and plug in the headset if you want to receive a call which comes while you're enjoying the supreme music quality.There's a general complaint in Samsung phones that you can't even change the message alert tone.Now how annoying are these features!##%$#@!

Next...

In comes the Sony Ericsson "Cybershot" range,with Xenon flash,that can take quality snaps in pitch dark!Its got all the essential music features,3.2MP camera(the highest resolution possible in my budget!)and all kinds of connectivity facilities that I'm least bothered about.
"How can a phone be so perfect?",I thought.I searched for the answer and I was happy to get it.It uses a joystick,hardy reliable.And,SE aren't renowned for their battery life either,are they?The set looks brick like as well....

Next...
Motorola..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Ok,Ok.. then let me get back to the good old Nokia itself.. I searched on for possible problems in the famous N73s and I found one,to my satisfaction,i.e. the phone hangs at times and the software is relatively slow.It takes time to get the camera started.



But then,it ships with all the gadgets that you can possibly plug into the various slots avaialble in a mobile so who cares?Add to that a 3.2 MP camera with Carl Zeisses Lens(supposed to be the BEST) and 20X digital zoom(perfect for shooting girls from a non-hazardous distance) and the tonnes of other applications,you can hardly ask for anything else.

The lesson I learnt was that no matter how hard you search and what your budget is,you will ALWAYS find a mobile phone lacking in something or the other.Thus,it's the best to go with your heart and that's what I'm going to do.
I had always dreamt of a N-Series phone when I looked at the ad.And their punchline was catchy too(which I surprisingly remember even though I've not seen their ad for more than an year now),i.e. "Meet the new Nokia N-Series".

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. Im Inspired again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool phone frnd.
    abt lacking that every phone has something or other so never mind.


    kindly pay a visit to ma blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nokia too :)

    I have a N72 since an year now and love it,though it is not the ultimate phone.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm well if Nokia seems to fit the bill so be it!i m a sony ericsson fan coz i feel it gives everything one can think of...the best of all is the music quality and the picture quality is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all of you,for taking out time and reading..

    @Sweepstakes lotto: Its amazing how you found this dull post inspiring.. I'm Inspired now!

    @Priya:Thanks! Was too busy browsing the net(for reading the reviews on mobiles) last week. Will visit your blog in the next ten mins! :)

    @dadougalee:Thanks for the info,mate!It really is a cool site.I was regretting not knowing it earlier(as I had bought the cell by the time I read your comment) but then I didn't find that set on the site, so I'm happy :). Will recommend the site to my friends though!

    @Sameera: Yeah,once you use nokia,you don't feel like switching to any other set,and that's exactly what happened with me.N73 music was the best nokia available in my budget so i went for it. And yeah,there's nothing called ultimate phone(even apple's much hyped iphone or the Blackberry aren't perfect,as they've got poor/no cameras and video recorders!)
    nice to see you back :)

    @Ria: Even I would have gone forSony coz its got the best camera at a lower price.but then,its really down to which purpose you're buying the cell for,isn't it?
    looking forward to see you back..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ruined my last phone & had to get a replacement....my phone company gave me a totally new model. It's a slide phone with full keyboard....I highly recommend this type if you text a lot.

    ReplyDelete